12.28.2011

le petit mort

He had forgotten the use of his pockets
Until one day he picked the last note of a dying sparrow right off its tongue
Of course this is crazy
True or maybe not
Or true
He placed the note carefully in his right hand pocket
As he walked he could feel the slight bulge against his leg
No, on the right side, not on the inside
He felt great joy in this gift of the last note of a dying bird
And grief for he held a last breath

"How long does someone have to live their life before they fully posses it?"
-Margaret Laurence



6 comments:

  1. i am reading The Diviners again. I stopped when
    i came to this line. i thought about breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, this is a wonderful poem.

    About the quote: It feels strange to me, trying to think in terms of this life being mine. I might well be missing the point, but possession almost seems a form of arrogance. I think I would rather be possessed, in all the lovely connotations of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only known two last breaths. One, a man's. It was noisy. Locals called it a death rattle. My mother's last breath was almost imperceptible. She lifted her left arm, placed it on her heart, and was gone.

    I'm not familiar with The Diviners, but I will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. William, i agree completely and this what struck me about that line. i don't think we ever posses our lives. the bird's breath owned by someone else, not even the same species was a way of thinking that line through.

    Dan - i have never witnessed a last breath in a human. the polarities of each persons passing must be very expansive for you. truly something to think about for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of your most important poems.

    (i am still thinking about that last line.)

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. erin - the last line is killing me like
    a wet dish rag. other than that i am pleased.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete