1.29.2013

"up the ladder, over the moon"

Is a kiss real
Or is it the image of Bacall
Her hand reaching up around behind Bogart’s
Neck drawing him in?

I sat on the roof last night and watched the full moon
It was so bright and cold.
I remembered a sign on a bathroom door in a diner
In New York City back in nineteen seventy four
That read, “For Customers Only”.
I remembered our relationship or what I thought was our relationship
Thought about it for two minutes and then thought
that was how long our relationship really was.
I then thought of melodies not lyrics
But notes that string together that have evoked great and wondrous sadness
And at the same time joy. I hummed them and became sad and happy at the same time.
I thought of my son and you and you and you. I wondered where you all were.

Just then Bacall reached behind my neck to draw me in
To bring my lips to hers, and I just knew
I was alive.

3 comments:

  1. excellent Robert. I appreciate the way you get us to think and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful text, full of bues and nostalgie

    ReplyDelete